Whether you started out with a bassinet or a bedside sleeper, you will eventually need a crib for your little one. It may seem like a bulky space in the nursery but the crib is the safest place for your baby to sleep. But there are several considerations you have to keep in mind when buying one.
Top 10 Baby Cribs of 2018 Reviewed
For you to get an idea what makes the best baby cribs, here is what many moms choose.
1. Dream on Me Convertible Crib
This easy-to-assemble crib can be adjusted to three mattress heights. It doesn’t have any moving parts so you know it’s safe and sturdy. By simply removing the front rail, the Dream on Me Convertible Crib turns into a day bed.
2. Dream on Me Synergy Convertible Crib
Easily converts into a toddler bed, daybed or a full-sized bed, Dream on Me Synergy Crib features 2-position mattress support system, full-sized bed frame, and a solid pine wood finish. It’s simple yet elegant design makes it suitable for all kinds of nursery décor.
3. Stork Craft Mission Ridge Fixed-Side Crib
Featuring adjustable mattress heights, convertible system, and easy assembly, the Stork Craft crib will definitely bring comfort, safety, and style to your baby’s room. This one grows with your baby from a fully protected crib to a day bed up to a full-sized bed.
4. Dream on Me Violet Convertible Lifestyle Crib
The Dream on Me Violet Lifestyle Crib features 7-in-1 convertibility, 4-position mattress support, and supremely elegant design. This crib is built from New Zealand Pinewood and is available in 6 beautiful finishes.
5. Stork Craft Tuscany Convertible Crib
Made from quality pine wood and composites, the Stork Craft Tuscany Crib is available in multiple non-toxic finishes. It features three-position adjustable mattress support for your growing baby. This crib converts into a toddler bed to a full-sized bed.
6. Delta Children Bentley 4-in-1 Crib
Featuring a strong and sturdy wood construction, the Delta Children Bentley Crib converts into a day bed, toddler bed, and up to a full-sized bed. It features 3-position mattress height adjustments too.
7. Stork Craft Portofino 4-in-1 Fixed Side
Need a changing table and a crib? How about you get all two in one bundle? The Stork Craft Portofino Convertible Crib comes with a changing table with 4 spacious drawers and 3 open shelves and a waterproof vinyl changing pad. It converts into a daybed, toddler bed and full-sized bed.
8. Evolur Santa Fe Convertible Crib
The Evolur Santa Fe Crib features 3-position mattress heights, a solid wooden frame, and hidden hardware. This convertible crib is built from Kiln-dried hardwood with fine veneers.
9. Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
The Babyletto Lolly Crib features an easy-to-assemble eco-conscious design for modern moms, which includes natural spindles, curved corners, and delicately curved corners.
10. Bratt Decor Joy Baby Crib
Made from cast iron, the Bratt Decor Joy Baby Crib features powder-coated finishing, distressed finish, and elegant castings that blend together to create a stylish crib. It also comes with 3-level mattress heights.
How to Choose A Crib for Your Little One
The crib you are getting will mostly determine the quality of sleep your baby will have every single night. So make sure you are choosing the best one! Here are a few important reminders when purchasing a new crib.
Determine your price range
An expensive crib doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best one. Crib prices vary from a couple of hundreds up to a thousand. It is important to determine your budget so you could streamline your search. You can definitely get a high-quality crib for $150-$300.
What features do you need?
Some features make the crib aesthetically pleasing such as elegant finishes and accessories while others are included for added convenience, depends on your taste. But there are features that are hard to put aside. These are:
- Adjustability of the mattress – in the early stages of your baby’s life, the ability to raise the mattress height is a wonderful feature that makes it easy and convenient for you to place your baby down to sleep. But once he’s able to sit or pull up, the mattress should be adjusted to the lowest height.
- Mattress support – this feature is made from a metal frame with suspended stiff springs. Mattress supports are adjustable so they can be lowered or raised for your child’s safety. Some cribs have a one-piece board mattress support while other models include metal hangers screwed into a wooden frame.
- Wheels – choose a crib that has wheels so it can be moved around easily. Make sure the wheels of the crib have caster locks to prevent it from ‘walking’ across the nursery with baby’s movements.
- Convertibility – when he becomes a toddler, you would need more of a bed than a crib. Best cribs for babies can be easily converted into a toddler bed by simply removing one side and adding a rail.
- Teething rails – when your baby starts gnawing, plastic coverings on the rails will be super helpful to protect his gums and the crib.
Is it sturdy enough?
Most cribs are made from wood and come in various finishes, from the traditional brown and black to more modern painted finishes like white and pastel colors. Whatever it is, the finish should be made from non-toxic paint. The construction must be durable and sturdy to ensure that your little one stays safe. As to the sides which are basically composed or bars, a standard safety requirement is that they be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart. The finials should be either 1/16 of an inch high or more than 16 inches high to prevent the possibility of your baby’s clothing catching on it.
There you go! Sounds like a lot to check and consider. But once you’ve finally found the best crib for your little special one, you will definitely be relieved knowing that it’s all worth it!