As your child starts to crawl and explore, and becomes a little unruly at times, it’s time to put safety gates and doorways around your home, particularly at the top and bottom of stairs, in hallways, and between rooms. These protective barricades are essential in keeping your little one secured at all times and reduces the chances of fatal injuries.
Top 10 Safety Gates & Doorways of 2018 Reviewed
- Top 10 Safety Gates & Doorways of 2018 Reviewed
- 1. Safety 1st Vintage Grey Wood Gate
- 2. Evenflo Expansion Swing Wide Gate
- 3. Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
- 4. Regalo Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate
- 5. Regalo Extra WideSpan Safety Gate
- 6. Regalo Home Accents Safety Gate
- 7. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
- 8. Summer Infant 6-Panel PlaySafe Playard
- 9. Regalo Super Wide Gate and Play Yard
- 10. North States Super Yard Metal Gate
- How to Choose A Safety Gate and Doorway
When purchasing safety gates and doorways for kids, there are several things to keep in mind. To have an idea of what the best safety gates are like, check out the following list. Purchased by thousands of parents worldwide, these safety gates and doorways surely stand out from the rest.
1. Safety 1st Vintage Grey Wood Gate
Featuring a durable wood frame, the Safety 1st Safety Gate features non-marring bumpers to protect against scratches and dings. It also has customizable widths and a compact design so you can easily store it when not in use.
2. Evenflo Expansion Swing Wide Gate
Made from wood and plastic, the Evenflo Swing Wide Gate is ideal to be placed in between doors, hallways, and bottom of the stairs. It features four-point hardware mounting, one-hand lock, telescoping plastic safety rail, and a swing design for easy walk-through.
3. Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
This expandable safety gate features one-touch release safety lock and a convenient walk-through design. There are no tools required to put it up, therefore it is easy for you and gentle on your walls. Regalo walk-thru gate is perfect for doorways and hallways.
4. Regalo Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate
Uses pressure mounts to set up, the Regalo Extra-Tall Safety Gate comes with a lever handle and safety lock that releases in one touch. Made from 100% steel construction, you can count on its superior durability and strength. It perfectly fits openings between 29-1/2 and 34 inches wide.
5. Regalo Extra WideSpan Safety Gate
Made from sturdy metal, the Regalo Extra WideSpan Gate is ideal for doorways, hallways, and staircases. Walking through is easy as it simply requires you to slide the safety lock back and lift the lever handle.
6. Regalo Home Accents Safety Gate
The Regalo Home Accents safety gate features a one-hand slide handle that automatically gets locked when pushed closed. It has a simple walk-through design and , in addition, is lightweight and portable – allowing you to conveniently remove it when needed to or take on your next trip to grandpa.
7. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
The Summer Infant Safety Gate can be used in between rooms and on stairways. It’s extra tall at 36 inches – ideal for kids and even small pets. It also features a convenient auto-close system and can be operated with just one hand.
8. Summer Infant 6-Panel PlaySafe Playard
This freestanding yard fence is great for indoor and outdoor use. It features a walk-thru design for easy access and is extra tall for added safety. Also, it’s so lightweight, you can install and uninstall Summer Infant Play Yard easily.
9. Regalo Super Wide Gate and Play Yard
Comprised of eight panels which are 24 inches tall, the Regalo Super Wide Gate and Play Yard features one-touch safety lock release lever and a convenient walk-through design so you can easily check on little one.
10. North States Super Yard Metal Gate
Includes six removable and adjustable panels (which you can add or remove as needed), the North States Super Yard Metal Gate is built with a child proof double locking system. Its hardware-mounted brackets ensure secure wall-to-wall installation, and can even be adjusted to fit your crown molding.
How to Choose A Safety Gate and Doorway
First of all, safety gates will certainly give you peace of mind. But how do you know you are buying an effective, sturdy and secure safety gate? Also, what are the factors that you must consider? Check these out.
Safety gates and doorways for minors come in different types. Generally, there are three: pressure-mounted safety gate, wall-mounted safety gate, and yard gate.
- Pressure-mounted safety gate – typically used between rooms, this type adjusts to the dimensions of the doorway and is equipped with a locking mechanism that force to wedge the gate in place. This should not be used for stairs.
- Wall-mounted safety gates – mounted with screws directly on the wall, this type of gate has the ability to withstand greater force than pressure-mounted styles. This can be used on the bottom and top of the stairs, as well as in window openings.
- Yard gates – perfect as barricades to your child’s play area, this type is made from expandable panels and typically comes with a portable carrying strap.
- Check the label for certifications from the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA).
- There should be no more than 1 to 2 inches gap between the floor and the bottom of the gate to prevent the child’s feet from slipping underneath.
- The vertical slats should not be more than 2-3/8 inches wide apart, to prevent the child’s head from getting trapped in between.
- The gate shouldn’t have any sharp edges or parts that could hurt your child’s hands. If it’s made from wood, make sure it has a smooth, non-toxic finish and doesn’t have splinters.
- The height of the safety gate should be no less than ¾ of your child’s. He shouldn’t be able to climb over it.
- It should have a secure lock but is not complicated to operate. Some models feature a one-hand release that allows you to lock and unlock the safety gate conveniently.
The safety gate should perfectly fit in the distance/space it needs t cover. Make sure to carefully follow the installation instructions as provided on the packaging. If necessary, seek professional help. Moreover, never buy the products which were not certified for safety. Check the label to see if it has sufficient certifications also. Safety gates and doorways are typically made of wood or steel. Regardless of the material, make sure that it has a non-toxic finish. Lastly, consider the safety gates will which look good and complement your home décor.
Safety gates are made to give every parent peace of mind. Make sure you take note of the tips and suggestions here. Remember that the best safety gates and doorways for minors are meant to protect your child from danger, not bring them closer to it. Be sure to check out the best products of 2018 as listed above. You might just find what you’re looking for.